Understanding how to cook canned peas is essential. The first step one should take is draining the solution the peas are soaked in. The next step should be rinsing them with some freshwater. After that, one can incorporate the cooking method their heart desires, whether it is in the microwave or sautéing on a pan.
The cooking time of canned peas is significantly lesser than that of fresh ones. The canned peas are precooked before canning and, therefore, take less time to be ready. This makes them a very convenient and healthy option for dinner. Keep reading to understand more about how to cook canned peas.
What Are Canned Peas?
Table of Contents
Peas are small green seeds that grow in a long pod and are often eaten as a vegetable and belong to Pisum sativum L. species. After the peas are shelled from the pods, they are blanched to destroy enzymes that may deteriorate it, then soaked in a brine solution filled in cans.
Canned peas may not be as healthy as fresh ones but are a great source of protein, vitamins, dietary fiber, and low in fat. If you are looking to cut down on some weight, you should include some canned peas in your diet.
What to Make With Canned Peas?
We get stuck on what to cook with canned peas at times, but it is possible to turn them into a vibrant and healthy meal for your family. These little green morsels are very versatile, and some of the budget-friendly recipes you can try making with them include:
1. Carrot And Peas
The carrot and peas mixture makes up a great side dish with a beautiful color. It’s a quick-fix meal and vegan friendly.
2. Pasta Peas
A pasta and peas combo takes just 15 minutes to be ready. You can make this meal with some Italian pasta.
3. Bacon And Pea Salad
The taste of canned peas is not as great as that of fresh ones. So if you want to add some flavor into the peas, try pairing it with some bacon and a sweet flavor-packed dressing.
4. Pea Soup With Cream
This soup is a great comforter for adults and toddlers alike. All you have to do is sauté some onions, add potatoes and some broth, and leave them to cook. After that, you can add in the peas and after fully cooked, blend to get your soup.
Other ways you can incorporate canned peas in your food include:
- Asparagus and pea sauté
- Potato, egg, and pea salad with some mustard dressing.
- Crostini and ricotta with peas
- Green peas curry
Types of Canned Peas
Peas can be very confusing. So to help ease that headache of wondering which peas to go for, I compiled some types of canned peas.
1. Garden/ English/ Green Peas
Garden peas are the most common peas in the market. They are the peas you’ll walk into grocery stores and supermarkets and find them frozen or canned. The peas are tender and sweet and can be added to soups and stir-fries.
2. Snow Peas
Snow peas have a flat pod with small peas, and they all are edible. They can be sautéed or blanched.
How to Cook Canned Peas in a Microwave ?
Canned peas offer so much convenience. Cooking canned peas in the microwave takes the least time, and without a limitation, on the seasonings, you can add them. So, how do you cook these gems in the microwave?
- The first step is transferring the canned peas into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Spice things up by adding some butter, salt, and pepper.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and cook for an hour and a half.
- Ensure you keep stirring the peas now and then so that all parts heat evenly.
- Once ready, allow little time to cool and serve.
- You can add some water-preferably a teaspoon-into the peas, then cook on full power.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap when steaming peas.
- Use ceramic and glass dishes in the microwave for best results.
- The time the peas take to cook may vary from person to person, as different microwaves have different powers. Five minutes is enough cooking time in some microwaves.
How to Season Canned Peas ?
Not everyone enjoys having peas. It worsens if the peas are canned since they are not as fresh as the freshly picked ones. Many children are not also vegetable lovers, and it is good to spice things up, so they consume those canned peas. Canned peas go well with a combination of spices and herbs.
Transferring The Peas Into a Pan
Drain the solution in the canned peas, then transfer the peas to a pan. Once in the pan, add some freshwater into the peas. Before deciding on the seasonings to use, taste the peas to determine whether they have sugar or salt in them. That will help you understand the best seasonings to match the sugary or salty peas without affecting the flavor.
Simmer The Peas
Simmer your peas on medium heat and add some butter to them. You can also add cheese and gelatin, then allow the peas to boil low.
Add salt into your simmering peas. Some black pepper, sugar, garlic and onion powder, oregano, basil, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and parsley are great seasonings you can add to your peas. Herbs like mint also increase the flavor of canned peas.
Since canned peas come cooked, they need to heat properly until all butter is melted. After that, you can serve them as a side dish or on their own.
How to Cook Sweet Peas in a Can?
Canned peas taste sweet when properly cooked. It will take 5-10 minutes for them to be ready.
- Can of green peas.
- 2 tbsp butter(unsalted)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar(granulated)
- Open your canned peas and drain water from the peas. You might notice that the water usually has a metal taste, and you wouldn’t want to cook with it.
- Pour some freshwater into the peas.
- Transfer the peas into a pan.
- Turn your stove on medium heat and place your pan onto the stove.
- Add the peas into the pan and leave it to boil low. High temperatures might break the peas and turn them mushy.
- Add some butter to the peas and other flavors, or add something into them like a mushroom. This will up their taste.
- Keep stirring the peas till all butter melts, and you can add seasonings of your choice to increase the flavor of the peas.
- Ensure heat gets through the peas evenly.
- Once ready, serve and enjoy.
- Have special seasonings without adding them all at once.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQS)
How Long to Cook Canned Peas?
Canned peas are already cooked and so 5-10 minutes is enough for them to be ready for serving.
How to Make Canned Peas Taste Better?
Basic seasonings like salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and popcorn seasonings improve the taste of canned peas.
What Can I Make With Canned Peas?
You can make some mashed potatoes and peas or some buttered peas and lettuce. The Indian-style peas and cheese are also perfect for serving with rice.
How to Make Peas Taste Good?
Apart from seasonings, butter and cheese add a strong taste that masks the taste of peas. Some people also liquefy peas with their favorite fruit drink then add them to a food processor to enhance the flavor of peas.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Peas?
Fresh peas cooked in a pan take up to 7-10 minutes to cook thoroughly.
Now that you understand how to cook canned peas, you can comfortably prepare a dish of canned peas without worrying that you might mess up with their taste. You can even prepare a canned peas recipe for your friends and they will all want to know the secret of preparing delicious canned peas.